Most clinical genetics centers and diagnostic programs offer teams of experienced physician medical geneticists and genetic counselors who can help families learn more about genetic testing and provide support to assist in adjusting to a new diagnosis.
This genetics professional team can help families determine whether genetic testing is appropriate and provide information about interpretation of a genetic test. Services can include:
- Providing information about how a genetic disease can be passed through families and determining your risk of having children with the disease
- Explaining the testing options available and discussing the benefits and limits of genetic testing
- Providing information about specific tests that are available for prenatal and preimplantation genetic diagnosis
- Interpreting and explaining the results of genetic testing
- Implementing a management plan based on a genetic diagnosis